Lightmotif builds ultrashort pulse laser micromachining systems. Our focus is mainly on flexible workstations intended for research and development or for small scale manufacturing in high-tech job shops, but we are also able to deliver single purpose production machines.
Our standard OP2 system is a versatile 5-axis micromachining platform, which also serves as a modular base for semi-custom solutions. We can design and construct a system that fits the requirements specific to your application and intended use.
Our systems use a picosecond laser, a 2.5D or 3D manipulator, and a 2D vector scanning system. This combination, together with a tightly integrated control, enables accurate and fast micromachining, also for larger workpieces.
Our control software is specifically designed for step-and-scan laser micromachining and allows high-level and machine independent job programming. Jobs are structured (hierarchical) and written in a general purpose object-oriented programming language (Python), making it possible to write very large and complex jobs, or to integrate third-party software. However, if you want to quickly write a script for some simple experiments that's possible too.
Reproducible results are important, for production as well as for research. That's why we:
- use reliable / high quality components;
- handle machine specific details for you – for example, automatically calibrated sky-writing removes the need to mess with scanner/laser delays;
- automate time consuming and error prone tasks such as power measurements and scan field calibration.
The use of accurate motion and scanning systems, together with automatic calibration of laser pointing and scanner drift, allows better results that are the same every time.
No two applications are the same, and customizing a machine for an application (or range of applications) is essential in order to end up with a machine that truly fits the customer's needs. To make sure we come up with useful specifications, we:
- combine our expertise in building and using laser micromachining systems with the customer's application knowledge when gathering requirements;
- perform (or assist with) process / application development if needed;
- only work with realistic and meaningful specifications;
- don't promise anything we can't deliver.
We have experience in adding application-specific automation and/or machine vision, as well as building automated (single-purpose) production machines. For the development of the (custom) motion subsystem we work closely together with specialized partners. The motion platform for our own 3D research workstation was designed by Q-Sys, an experienced supplier of precision positioning systems.
We are currently working on a modular system that will allow us to offer semi-custom machines faster and at a lower price. We expect to have this system available in fall 2014.
Service and Support
At Lightmotif we believe good support is just as important as good specifications. We do not merely want a properly functioning machine; we want to make sure it's being used to its full potential. That's why we:
- are interested to hear from our customers and discuss possible improvements;
- offer to help setting up a system for new applications, including complicated custom job script programming and/or process development;
- keep systems up to date by offering software updates;
- let you talk directly to our engineers when you need help/support.